You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from

FAQs On Referendum & Enrolment In Australian Electoral Commission

Organisation : Australian Electoral Commission (
Facility : FAQs On Referendum, Enrolment & Overseas Enrolment
Country : Australia
Website :

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

FAQs On Referendum, Enrolment & Overseas Enrolment

1. How Do I Complete My Referendum Ballot Paper?
** To make sure your vote is able to be counted in a referendum, you need to clearly write either ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ opposite the question – as per the instructions on the ballot paper.

** We will always admit a ballot paper to the count where the voter’s intention is clear but any marks or words other than ‘yes’ or ‘no’ (e.g. the use of a tick or check mark) could leave the formality of your vote open to interpretation or challenge.

** Ultimately, if challenged, the relevant AEC Divisional Returning Officer will decide if your ballot is deemed formal or informal in accordance with the Referendum Act.

Related / Similar Facilities : Democratic Party Of Virginia Apply For Membership

2. Is It Compulsory To Enrol And Vote In A Referendum?
** Yes. It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens aged 18 and older to enrol and vote in referendums and federal elections.

** If you are already on the electoral roll for federal elections you DO NOT need to enrol again to vote in a referendum

3. Can I be enrolled if I haven’t completed an enrolment form?
** Yes. Electoral laws provide for the AEC to directly enrol or update your address on the electoral roll based on information received from other government agencies.

** The AEC has a series of comprehensive checks in place to confirm if you are eligible to enrol and that you live at a particular address.

** This process will not affect everyone and it remains your responsibility to enrol to vote and keep your enrolment details up-to-date.

4. Is it compulsory to enrol, regardless of age or disability?
** Yes it is compulsory for all Australian citizens who have turned 18 and have lived at their residential address for a period of one month, to enrol and maintain their enrolment.

** While the AEC uses accessible polling places wherever possible, if you find it difficult to get to a polling place on election day, you can apply to become a General Postal Voter to receive your ballot papers in the mail.

** The AEC also provides mobile polling to some hospitals and nursing homes.

** If you have a physical disability that prevents you from writing, someone else may complete and sign an enrolment form for persons unable to sign their name on your behalf.

** Some people may also require additional support to enrol and vote, such as people with an intellectual, cognitive or psychosocial disability.

** The AEC provides a range of ‘Easy read guides’ for people who have difficulty reading and understanding written information. You will not be fined for not enrolling in the past.

5. How is a person removed from the electoral roll?
** There are very limited circumstances in which a person’s name may be removed from the roll.

** This includes when information received by the AEC indicates a person no longer lives at their enrolled address or that an enrolled person is now deceased.

** Information regarding a person who is deceased is provided to the AEC by relevant Births, Deaths and Marriages registries.

** Family and friends may also complete a notification of a relative who has died form.

** If the AEC receives information that suggests a person should not be enrolled at a particular address we must write to the person before taking any action in relation to their enrolment.

** If no response is received we may then remove the person from the roll. This information may come from other government agencies.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap