|You can now ask your questions about this election. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
Organisation : Elections and Boundaries Commission
Service Name : Voter Registration ( Who Can Register & How Do I Apply To Vote?)
Country : Swaziland
Website : http://www.elections.org.sz/online/application-for-registration/
Swaziland Voter Registration
Voter Registration in Swaziland
Related : Where Can I Register To Vote In Swaziland : www.electionin.org/3082.html
Who Can Register?
Citizens Eligible For Registration
You are eligible to register to vote if you are;
** A Swazi citizen or ordinarily resident in Swaziland; and have attained the age of 18 years.
** A Swazi citizen currently living in another country.
** An inmate who is not under sentence of death or life imprisonment by a court in any country.
Who Is Not Eligible To Vote?
A person is not qualified to be registered as a voter if that person-
** is certified to be insane or adjudged to be of unsound mind;
** is detained under the Mental Disorders Act, No. 28 of 1963;
** is under a sentence of death or life imprisonment imposed on that person by a court in Swaziland;
** is, for an act which is a criminal offence under the law of Swaziland, under a sentence of death or life imprisonment imposed on that person by a court in any other country; or
** is disqualified for registration as a voter under any law in Swaziland relating to electoral offences.
How Do I Apply To Vote?
(1) A person may orally and publicly apply to the registration officer of the registration centre in which the applicant wishes to be registered to have that person’s name entered on the register for voters, and such person shall produce evidence of eligibility.
(2) In the case of registration at Umphakatsi, registration shall take place in the presence of the representatives of the Umphakatsi selected from among the Chief’s Council who may, if required by the registration officer, provide all relevant information regarding the eligibility of persons applying for registration as voters.
(3) In the case of registration at urban or industrial areas, the persons applying for registration as voters shall produce evidence or their Swazi citizenship or permanent residence.
(4) If the registration officer is satisfied that an applicant qualifies to be registered as a voter, the registration officer shall enter the applicant’s name on the prescribed form and hand the applicant proof of registration, signifying that the applicant’s name shall be entered on the voters register, and the registration officer shall thereafter enter the name of the applicant in the appropriate Inkhundla voters register.
(5) If the registration officer is not satisfied that an applicant qualifies to be registered, the officer shall reject the application, and the applicant may in the presence of the registration officer object by completing and signing the approved Form No. 1, including the declaration set forth in that form.
(6) Where a registration officer refuses to register an applicant as a voter, the registration officer shall, in the approved Form No. 2 inform the applicant of the refusal and the reasons for the refusal.