You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from Register a Political Party : Electoral Commission South Australia

Organisation : Electoral Commission SA
Facility : How To Register A Political Party
Country : Australia
Details :

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

ECSA Register a Political Party

To register a political party in South Australia it must be either :
** a parliamentary party (a political party relying on a Member of Parliament for eligibility), or

Related : ECSA How To Enrol Australia :

** a political party whose membership includes 200 members who are on the electoral roll.

An application for registration must be made in writing to the Electoral Commissioner of South Australia and must include :
** the name of the party and any proposed abbreviation, and
** the name, contact details and signature of the registered officer and party contact details, and

** the constitution of the party, and
** a $500 application fee.
The application for the registration of a political party (PDF 223.46 kB) form contains the instructions to register a political party.

To be eligible to register as a parliamentary party in South Australia, it must have either :
** a Member of Parliament, which includes any Member of the Parliament of South Australia, or
** a Senator for the State of South Australia, or
** a Member of the House of Representatives chosen in the State of South Australia.

Applying for Public Funding

This information is about how to apply for public funding. The public funding scheme is optional and if you choose to participate then you will be subject to Political expenditure caps.

To see a list of participants of the public funding scheme for the 2018 State election, and for lodgement deadlines, visit our Public funding 2018 page.

Who can apply?
1. Unendorsed candidates and unendorsed groups of candidates may apply for public funding.
2. Registered political parties may apply for public funding on behalf of their endorsed candidates and groups.

Lodging a certificate to participate in the scheme :
Parties, groups and candidates who wish to participate in the public funding scheme must lodge a section 130Y certificate. Once lodged, certificates cannot be withdrawn.

If a person lodges a certificate and then does not nominate as a candidate or, in the case of a party, does not endorse a candidate in an electoral district, then the certificate is considered of null effect for that person or for that particular electoral district.

General election timeframes :
Unendorsed Members of Parliament and unendorsed groups who have at least one Member of Parliament must lodge their certificates 24 months before polling day for a general election in which they intend to nominate.

Registered political parties must lodge their certificate 24 months before polling day for a general election. Parties can lodge a certificate on behalf of candidates and groups for each electoral district they wish to contest even if they do not yet know the identity of the candidates.

Unendorsed candidates who are not Members of Parliament and unendorsed groups who do not have at least one Member of Parliament must lodge their certificates for a general election by 5.00pm on the first day of the capped expenditure period.

The capped expenditure period for a general election commences on 1 July in the year before the election.


Are you a new candidate?
Disclosure periods for funding and disclosure differ depending on whether or not you are a ‘new candidate’.
You are a ‘new candidate’ if :
** you have not previously been a candidate for a House of Assembly election any time in the past five years before polling day, or
** you have not previously been a candidate for a Legislative Council election any time in the past nine years before polling day.

Groups of candidates :
Groups of candidates have the same obligations as an individual candidate. The above links provide information about a candidate’s obligations.
If you are a member of a group, you have two sets of obligation : your individual candidate obligations and group obligations.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap