You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from How to Apply For Silent Elector : Australian Electoral Commission

Organisation : Australian Electoral Commission (
Facility : How to Apply For Silent Elector
Country : Australia

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

How to Apply For Silent Elector :
Home Page :

Silent Electors :
I need to keep my address private, what can I do? :
You can apply to register as a silent elector if you believe having your address on the electoral roll would put you or your family’s safety at risk.

If you are granted silent elector status only your name and division (also known as an electorate) is shown on the publicly available electoral roll.

How do I apply? :
If you are already enrolled, you can register as a silent elector by selecting the silent elector form for your state or territory from the list below.
You will need to :
** read page one of the form to check you qualify for silent elector status,
** complete the form,
** complete the statutory declaration and explain what you consider the risk to be and why your personal safety (or that of your family) is at risk.

** If you are not enrolled, you can enrol online or complete a PDF version of the enrolment form and then return it to the AEC with your silent elector form.
** A separate silent elector form is required for each person requesting silent elector status.
** You can provide one statutory declaration as long as it includes the names of all the people applying.
** Silent elector status is not granted automatically.
** Each application is considered by the Divisional Returning Officer and a decision is made based on whether it meets the legal conditions for silent elector status.

I’ve moved house/changed my name, do I need to apply again?
No, you don’t need to reapply to be a silent elector but you do need to update your enrolment with your new details. You can change your address or change your name online with the AEC. When the AEC updates your enrolment details you will continue to be registered as a silent elector.

Assisted voting :
I have Power-of-Attorney for a person. Can I vote on their behalf?
A person who holds a power of attorney for a voter is not permitted to vote for an elector, as there is no provision for proxy voting in federal elections in Australia.

What if I need assistance to vote?
Assistance is provided if the polling official in charge of the polling place is satisfied that you are unable to vote without help.
The following electors may seek help :
** the elderly;
** people with a disability (including visual impairment);
** non-literate people;
** people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

Polling staff are trained on how to assist you.

You can nominate any person (except a candidate) to assist. This person could be a friend or relative, a Scrutineer or a party worker. If you do not nominate someone, then the polling official in charge will provide assistance.

If the polling official in charge is the one providing assistance, Scrutineers have the right to be present while the ballot papers are filled in.

If assistance is being provided by a person nominated by you, you and the nominated assistant enter an unoccupied polling booth. The assistant helps to complete, fold and deposit the ballot paper in the ballot box. In this situation Scrutineers ARE NOT allowed to enter the polling booth while the ballot paper is being completed.

My relative or friend requires assistance to vote. Am I allowed to assist them?
** If an elector requires assistance, they are able to choose the person who assists them, whether they vote at a polling place or are having a postal vote.
** If the elector cannot sign, they must make a mark and it must be appropriately witnessed.
** The witness must identity the fact that the elector made the mark by adding the words ‘his mark’ or ‘her mark’ above the elector’s mark; and printing the elector’s given name(s) to the left of the mark, and the elector’s surname to the right of the mark.
** The person acting as witness must then sign as the witness.

Can I tell an official that someone I know will not be able to vote?
** You may advise a polling official of the illness, death or other circumstances of another person.
** These details will be recorded in an elector information report.
** Under no circumstances will you be allowed to vote for another person.
** Although the polling official will record all the information you have given them, they are unable to tell you whether that person will be fined for not voting.
** This decision can only be made by the returning officer for that division

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap