Organisation : The Federal Returning Officer
Election Name : 2021 Bundestag Election
Country : Germany
Election Date : Sunday, 26th September 2021
Application Last Date : 5th September 2021
Website : https://www.bundeswahlleiter.de/en/
|Want to comment on this post? |
Go to bottom of this page.
German Bundestag Election
The deadline for entering Germans who live abroad in the voters’ register is 5 September 2021. Being registered to vote is the prerequisite for participation in the Bundestag election on 26 September 2021.
Related / Similar Post : German Bundestag Election 2021 Voters’ Register
Bundestag Election Application Procedure
1.“Adult German citizens permanently living abroad who no longer have a place of residence in Germany and wish to vote in the 2021 Bundestag Election should as soon as possible apply to be on the voters’ register of their last home municipality in Germany”, underlined Federal Returning Officer Georg Thiel.
2. The signed original of the application must be received by the municipal authority by 5 September 2021 at the latest. German citizens abroad who, upon request, were entered in the voters’ register for the last Bundestag election in 2017 must also file an application for the 2021 Bundestag Election.
3. Germans who have never been registered in Germany and may be entitled to vote will find information concerning the municipality responsible on the Federal Returning Officer’s website. Further information and the application form are available from almost every mission of the Federal Republic of Germany abroad and on the website of the Federal Returning Officer.
Download Application Form Here : https://www.electionin.org/uploads/pdf2021/4877-Form.pdf
4. As an exception, some German missions abroad let German voters return their postal ballot letters to Germany by the official courier service to the Federal Foreign Office in Berlin. Return envelopes do not have to be stamped then.
5. Please note that the official courier service can be used every one to two weeks and delivery may take several days. For details please contact the respective mission abroad. A list of these German missions is also available on the website of the Federal Returning Officer.
6. Germans who stay abroad only temporarily (for instance while on vacation) and still have a registered domicile in Germany will be entered ex officio in the voters’ register of their municipality and may vote in the 2021 Bundestag Election by postal ballot.
7. They do not have to wait for their voter’s notification but may apply now to their municipal authority for a polling card, either in writing or in person but not by telephone. Where applicable, the application may be filed using an online form provided on the website of the relevant municipal authority.
8. An application form can also be found on the back of the voter’s notification. If the voter’s notification includes a relevant QR code, this can also be used for the application. Anyone filing the application on behalf of another person must present a written proxy.
The Basic Law specifies the period in which a Bundestag election has to take place (Article 39 para. 1 of the Basic Law).
In accordance with that provision, new elections are held between 46 months (at the earliest) and 48 months (at the latest) after the current electoral term has begun. If the electoral term of the Bundestag is terminated early, there have to be new elections within 60 days after the decision has been taken to dissolve the Bundestag.
The electoral term of the 19th German Bundestag started on 24 October 2017 with its constituent sitting. Consequently, the date of the election will have to be within the period from Wednesday, 25 August 2021 to Sunday, 24 October 2021.
Election day has to be on a Sunday or a public holiday (Section 16 of the Federal Elections Act). As a rule, Bundestag elections should not be conducted during main holiday seasons.
In consultation with the Federal Government, the Federal President has now set the election date for Sunday, 26 September 2021 (see order of the Federal President concerning the 2021 Bundestag election of 8 December 2020 (Federal Law Gazette I, p. 2769)).
Irrespective of the election date, elections to the assemblies of party delegates may, at the earliest, be held 29 months after the electoral term of the Bundestag has begun, this would be from 25 March 2020 for this Bundestag election. Candidates may be elected 32 months after the electoral term has started, this means from 25 June 2020 (Section 21 (3), third sentence, of the Federal Elections Act).
Tel: +49 611 75-3444