You are here: Home > New Zealand
All posts from How to Enrol & Vote With Disability : Electoral Commission New Zealand

Organization : Electoral Commission
Facility : How to Enrol & Vote With Disability
Country : New Zealand

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

How to Enrol & Vote With Disability :
Website :

Enrol and Vote with a Disability :
Being on the electoral roll is important – especially for those living with a disability, or caring for someone who does. It means you have a voice when it comes to electing those who make local and national decisions that affect the disabled.

If you’re not yet on the roll, do it now!

New Zealanders living with a disability have the right to enrol and vote, and the Electoral Commission is committed to reducing the barriers that may make it difficult.

Can I get help to enrol? :
If you are unable to fill in the enrolment form, a support person can help you, or fill in the form on your behalf. Find out more about this here.

Your local Registrar of Electors is also able to help you get on the roll. To find your local Registrar, click here.

Can someone enrol on my behalf? :
Anyone can fill in an enrolment form for another person, providing the applicant signs the form.

What about people who are unable to sign or complete an enrolment form? :
If a person is physically unable to sign the form, any registered elector may sign for them. They must write on the form “Elector physically disabled – signed by their direction”. People who hold a Power of Attorney must sign and state “Elector physically disabled – Power of Attorney”.

If a person is regarded as mentally unable to complete an enrolment form, it can be completed for them by :
** any registered elector, or
** an appointed welfare guardian, or
** an attorney appointed by that person.

A separate form must also be filled in stating why the enrolment form has been completed on behalf of the elector.

Both forms can be requested by contacting us online [feedback form] or calling 0800 36 76 56.

Can I get help to vote? :
A support person can come with you when you vote. They can go behind the voting screen with you, and can read out the words and information on the voting papers. The support person can also mark the voting papers for you if you ask them to.

What if I can’t get to a voting place? :
If you can’t get to a voting place on election day, there are a number of options. You can :
** vote in advance in person
** apply for postal voting (a special vote)
** ask someone to collect and deliver your voting papers (a special vote)

Voting in advance :
Advance voting makes it easy for anyone who can’t get to a polling place in their electorate on election day. This may be because of work, sickness, infirmity, disability, being away from home or for any other reason.

Information about where, when and how to vote in advance is available from this website closer to election day. Information on voting in advance will also be in your EasyVote information pack, which you will receive about a week before election day, or on freephone 0800 36 76 56.

If you’re unable to vote in advance, you can cast a special vote.

Casting a Special Vote :
You will need to cast a special vote if you’re :
** unable to get to a polling place or advance voting place in your electorate; or
** not enrolled by Writ Day or
** on the unpublished roll.

To receive special voting papers, you will need to complete a special declaration form.

Before election day you can :
** go into an advance voting place. You will be given a declaration form to complete and your voting papers; or

** complete and post an application for special declaration voting papers to your Returning Officer. They will send your voting papers and declaration; or

** apply for voting papers by fax, e-mail or telephone from your Returning Officer.

Your completed voting papers must be received by the Returning Officer or a polling place no later than 7pm on election day.

On election day you can :
** ask someone to go to your voting place on your behalf to pick up your voting papers

Need help to get your voting papers? :
You can complete an application for special declaration voting papers and ask another person to take it to your Returning Officer, advance voting place or a polling place. They will then bring you back your voting papers and declaration.

Your completed voting papers must be received by the Returning Officer or a polling place no later than 7pm on election day.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap