You are here: Home > New Zealand
All posts from Guide to Register for Electronic Updates : Electoral Commission New Zealand

Organization : Electoral Commission
Facility : Guide to Registering for Electronic Updates
Country : New Zealand

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

Register Online :
Website :

Guide to Registering for Electronic Updates :
There are two ways you can register for electronic updates to your enrolment details. Once you have completed either registration process, you can click ‘Login’ any time you need to check or update your enrolment details.
Consent to Electronic Updates on an enrolment form :
** This option will allow you to create a RealMe® login if you do not already have one, otherwise you can use your existing RealMe login.

** When enrolling or updating enrolment details choose the Sign and return a form option. On the enrolment form, in the Electronic Updates section, mark the box to opt in for electronic updates, and provide your email address.

** After a Registrar of Electors has processed your enrolment form, a confirmation of enrolment will be sent to you by post, which contains a verification code. Enter the code at

** Once you have entered your code, you will be emailed a verification link. If you already have a RealMe login, you can login as normal. If you do not have a RealMe account, follow the instructions to create one.

Register your verified RealMe® account :
** If you already have a verified RealMe account, which involves visiting a PostShop with ID, and having your photo taken, you can register for electronic updates fully online.

** Locate your enrolment details by entering your fullname, date of birth, and address in the search form.

** Choose ‘Prove my identity’ with RealMe, and log into your account.

** Once you have successfully logged in, you will be redirected to the Electoral Commission’s website. Simply enter your details onto the enrolment form, and submit. You are all done!

Please note: if you have previously enrolled using your verified RealMe account, you are already registered for electronic updates and do not need to do anything further.

What Information do I Need to Give? :
When you fill in your enrolment form, you will be asked a number of questions about yourself and where you live. This is to help us make sure we can enrol you in the right electorate.

Please answer all questions on the enrolment form so we can enrol you correctly. Only your name, residential address and occupation will be printed in the electoral roll.

Your Full Name :
This is needed to check that you’ve enrolled correctly, and to distinguish people with the same or similar names.

Date of Birth :
This shows your Registrar of Electors that you are old enough to enrol and can also help us distinguish between people with the same name.

Updating your details electronically :
This allows you to opt in to update your enrolment details electronically. If you wish to update your personal information online in future, please fill in a new enrolment form and tick yes in the appropriate box in section A of the enrolment form. You will need to provide your email address in Section D on the reverse of the form. Read more about updating your details electronically.

Signature and Date :
If you are a New Zealand Maori, or a descendant of a New Zealand Maori, you must sign and date in either the Maori panel or the General panel. You must not sign both. It is important you choose carefully which roll you want to be on. All other people must sign and date in the General panel. If you are physically disabled or overseas the application may be signed on your behalf.

Residential Address :
This is your home address. A New Zealand Post Box or rural delivery number isn’t enough to describe your address. We require your full home address so we can enrol you in the electorate in which you ‘reside’. You ‘reside’ at the place where you choose to make your home because of family or personal relations or for other domestic or personal reasons. Just because you may be occasionally or temporarily absent from that place does not mean that you do not reside there. Being absent from your place of residence because of your employment or education (or your spouse’s employment or education) does not affect it either. The most important factor in working out where you reside is where you choose to make your home.

Postal Address :
This is needed if your postal address is different from your residential address. We need to write to you to confirm your enrolment.

Occupation :
This can also help us distinguish between people who have the same name. It can often appear on the printed roll in a shortened form.

Are you Maori? :
Only New Zealand Maori, or descendants of New Zealand Maori, may answer by ticking the “YES” circle. All other people must tick the “NO” circle.

Phone Numbers :
These are needed in case we have to contact you.

Email :
An email address is required if you wish to be able to update your enrolment details electronically in future. Read more about email address requirements.

Sketch Map :
If you live at an un-numbered address, a sketch map showing the location of your residence is required to assist in establishing your correct electorate.

Have you changed your address recently? :
If you’ve lived at your present residential address for less than one month, please complete these panels.

New Zealanders Overseas :
You must only fill in these panels if you’re overseas. Please print when you last lived in New Zealand, when you moved overseas, and the last address you lived at for at least one month before you left New Zealand.

What happens to my signed enrolment form after I’ve sent it back? :
Your Registrar of Electors will check it is filled in correctly. If it is, your name will go on the roll of the electorate you have last lived in for at least a month. We will post you confirmation of your enrolment.

Who else gets copies of electoral information? :
The Electoral Commission is required by law to give local councils lists of electors to compile their electoral rolls. Electoral rolls are also used to randomly select potential jurors.

Political parties, candidates and approved scientific/health researchers are also entitled to enrolment data. However, an elector’s date of birth is confidential and is never released

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap