Organisation : National Electoral Commission
Facility : Village Head Election
Election Date : 29th December 2017
Country : Sierra Leone
Notification : https://www.electionin.org/uploads/26148-VillageHeads.pdf
Home Page : http://nec-sierraleone.org/index.html
|Want to comment on this post? |
Go to bottom of this page.
NEC Sierra Leone Village Head Election
Declaration Of Date For The Conduct Of Village Head Elections In The Western Area Rural District
Related : NEC Sierra Leone Voting Process : www.electionin.org/201.html
In exercise of the powers conferred on it by Section 33 of the Constitution of Sierra Leone, 1991 (Act No. 6 of 1991); and pursuant to provisions of Sections 9 and 10 of the Local Government Act, 2004 (Act No. 1 of 2004) and Sections, 6 and 9 of Statutory Instrument No 16 of 2005,
National Electoral Commission makes the following proclamation :
Friday 29th day of December 2017 is hereby declared as the day for the conduct of Elections for Village Heads in the Western Area Rural District.
Nomination of Candidates for the said Elections shall take place from 22nd – 29th November, 2017 at the NEC District Office, Chukuma Johnson Drive, Old Motor Road, Waterloo, Western Area Rural District.The Nomination Fees for the said elections will be announced in due course.
Qualifications and disqualifications for the office of Head of Village or town in the Western Area Rural District are found in the aforementioned Statutory Instrument No 16 of 2005.
Other details for the nomination and conduct of the elections shall be published by the National Electoral Commission in due course.
Observers have an important role to help ennsure that the Voter Registration Process is carried out in accordance with legal regulations an procedures. They must agree to follow a Code of Conduct prepared by NEC. The following should be read in conjunction with the Code of Conduct.
** Media are free to visit any registration centres throughout Sierra Leone, but need to strictly follow NEC rules and regulations.
** The rules and regulations try to meet both the needs of journalists, and the right of the Sierra Leonean people to register, without any pressure or interference.
** Journalists may film or photograph the overall situation in a registration centre, but they must not, under any circumstance, interupt the registration process while filming.
** Only journalists with valid I.D and accrediation cards will be allowed inside the registration centre.
** They must wear their badges and carry with them one identity document with photo.
** The Ward Coordinator or Registration official is the point of contact at the registration centre, and media are asked to direct questions only to the Ward Coordinator or contact NEC District officials or the Media and External Relations Department.
** Inside the registration centre, registrants cannot be interviewed while the registration process is ongoing.
** Only the Registration officer can be interviewed inside the registration centre.
** Journalists are asked to be as brief and unobtrusive as possible in their visits to the registration centres.
Dos and Don’ts
Dos and Don’ts for Political Parties/Party Coalition and their Agents
Every agent or representative of a political party/political party coalition shall
1. Adhere to the laws of the Republic of Sierra Leone.;
2. Do nothing that disrupts the normal course of the registration process that hin-ders the officials of the National Electoral Commission (NEC) in performance of their duties;
3. Respect the role, status and authority of the registration officials and comply with all lawful instructions or directions given by the registration officials;
4. Have the right to complain about any violation of the law or regulations and procedures which they have personally seen or observed. This complaint shall be made to the Registration Officer, or officials of the Commission during or af-ter the violation has been committed;
5. Where required, have the right to sign those forms used in the conduct of the voter registration;
6. Avail themselves of briefings and other information on the registration process provided by the NEC, where available; and be knowledgeable about the con-duct of the voter registration process undertaken by the Commission;
7. Wear or otherwise display prominently the agent or representative identifica-tion card or badges issued by the Commission when engaged in observing the registration process; and If requested by Registration or NEC officials, produce his/her accreditation card (Political Party);
8. If present during the daily counting activities, copy registration figures from the Daily Accounting Form;
9. Sign the Daily Accounting Form.