Organisation : Bosnia & Herzegovina Central Election Commission
Announcement : Election Laws
Country : Bosnia & Herzegovina
Applicable For : General Public
Details : https://www.electionin.org/uploads/2418-BiH_Election_Law.pdf
Home Page : http://www.izbori.ba/Default.aspx?Lang=6&CategoryID=81
|Want to comment on this post? |
Go to bottom of this page.
Election Laws :
Article 1.1 :
This law shall regulate the election of the members and the delegates of the Parliamentary Assembly of Bosnia and Herzegovina and of the members of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina and shall stipulate the principles governing the elections at all levels of authority in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Related : Bosnia & Herzegovina Central Election Commission Safety of Electoral Process : www.electionin.org/2024.html
Article 1.1a :
Certain expressions used in this Law shall have the following meaning:
(1) “Political subject” shall mean a political party, an independent candidate, a coalition, or a list of independent candidates certified for participation in elections in accordance with this Law.
(2) “Electoral unit” shall mean:
a) A “basic electoral unit” which means a municipality, the City of Banja Luka, the District of Brcko, the city electoral unit of the City of Mostar and electoral units of the city area of the City of Mostar where a total number of representatives is elected and constituted for a certain level of authority and which does not contain the multimember electoral units;
b) A cantonal electoral unit where a total number of representatives is elected and constituted for a certain level of authority and which does not contain multimember electoral units.
c) An entity electoral unit where the Entity level of authority is elected and constituted, containing multimember electoral units, and
d) An entity electoral unit where the State level of authority is elected.
3) “Multi-member electoral unit” shall mean an electoral unit where more than one but less than the total number of representatives for a certain level of authority is elected.
4) “Electoral cycle” shall mean the mandate period relating to a certain level of authority.
5) “Election threshold” shall mean a certain percentage of votes received (valid ballots) that must be won by a political subject in order for it to be eligible to participate in the allocation of mandates.
6) “Election campaign” shall mean actions and procedures in the period established by this Law within which a political subject informs the voters and the public, as prescribed by the Law, about their programs and candidates for the forthcoming elections.
7) “Compensatory mandates” shall mean the mandates that are allocated to the lists of political parties or coalitions according to the number of valid votes received, and serve to compensate for inadequate proportional representation at the entity level arrived at by summing up the results for the particular multimember electoral units in the entity.
8) “National Minority Member” shall mean a national of Bosnia and Herzegovina who does not belong to any of the three constituent peoples. A national minority is made of people of the same or similar ethnic background, same or similar tradition, customs, faith, language, culture and spirituality and close or related history and other features.
9) “Displaced person” shall mean a national of Bosnia and Herzegovina whose status of a displaced person has been established by a competent administration authority responsible for the displaced persons affairs as provided by law.
10) “Refugee” shall mean a national of Bosnia and Herzegovina who has the voting rights and has taken up his/her residence abroad, having the status as refugee from BiH.
11) “Parliamentary party” shall mean a political party represented in representative or legislative government authorities.
12) “Election period” shall mean the period from the day the elections are announced to the day when the election results are validated.
13) “Election year” shall mean the period that corresponds to a calendar year in which elections are planned to be held.
14) “Eligible voter (loc. birac)”, for the purpose of this Law, shall mean a national of Bosnia and Herzegovina registered in the Central Voters Register.
15) “Active voter (loc. glasac)”, for the purpose of this Law, shall mean a national of Bosnia and Herzegovina who is registered in the Central Voters Register and who has exercised the right to vote (i.e. the active voting right).
Article 1.2 :
(1) The cost and expense for the conduct of the elections shall be material cost and expense and reimbursement costs for the operations of election management bodies.
(2) The material cost and expense shall be the cost for conduct of elections by the election management bodies within their scope of competence under Articles 2.9 and 2.13 of this Law and the Decision of the Central Election Commission of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the Central Election Commission of BIH) that regulates the scope of competence of entity election commissions, pursuant to Article 2.21 of this Law.
(3) The reimbursement costs for the operations of election management bodies shall be the costs referred to in Article 2.12, paragraph (9) and Article 2.19, paragraph (16) and (17) of this Law.