Organisation : International Foundation for Electrol System
Announcement : General Election 2017
Country : Kenya
Download Gazette : https://www.electionin.org/uploads/2350-49hm8bBwEf.pdf
Home Page : https://www.iebc.or.ke/
|Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.
General Election :
(a) An election of the President of the Republic of Kenya shall be held on 8th August, 2017.
Related / Similar Election : IEBC 2022 Kenyan General Election ECVR II Diaspora Registration
(b) Political parties shall submit the party membership lists to the Commission on or before 27th March, 2017.
(c) Political parties intending to present a candidate in the Presidential election shall, 21 days before the primaries being on or before 5th April, 2017 submit the names of persons intending to participate in the primaries as candidates, the date and venues of the primaries.
(d) The Commission shall publish, in the Gazette the names of the persons contesting in a party primary and the date of the party primary within seven (7) days of receipt of the names of the candidates.
(e) Each political party wishing to participate in the elections must finalize its primaries on or before the 26th April, 2017.
(f) Political parties intending to present a presidential candidate in this election shall, after its primaries resolve all intra-party disputes and submit the person nominated to contest for the Presidential election to the Commission on or before the 10th May, 2017.
(g) Candidates intending to participate in the general election as independent candidates shall submit their names and symbols that a person intends to use during elections for purposes of nomination of independent candidates to the Commission on or before 10th May, 2017.
(h) Candidates intending to participate in the general election as independent candidates shall not be members of any political party by 8th May, 2017, being 3 months before the General Election.
(i) The Commission shall publish in the Gazette, the names and symbols of persons intending to contest in the election as independent candidates at least fourteen (14) days before the nomination day being on or before 13th May, 2017.
(j) The days for the nomination of political parties candidates and independent candidates for the Presidential election shall be on Sunday, 28th May, 2017 and Monday, 29th May, 2017 and nomination papers shall be delivered by the candidates, to the Chairperson of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission or his designate between the hours of eight o’clock in the morning and one o’clock in the afternoon and between the hours of two o’clock and four o’clock in the afternoon at the place designated by the Commission.
(k) Disputes relating to or arising from nominations shall be determined within ten (10) days of the lodging of the dispute with the Commission.
(l) The campaign period for purposes of the 8th August, 2017 General Election shall commence on Sunday, 28th May, 2017 and cease on 5th August, 2017 being 48 hours before the General Election day.
(m) The Campaign time shall run from 7.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. during the campaign period.
(n) Political parties and candidates shall appoint and submit to the Commission the names of the National and County Chief Elections Agents to the Commission on or before 25th July, 2017.
(o) If the elections are contested, the poll will take place on the 8th August, 2017.
1. The attention of candidates and persons subscribing nomination papers is drawn to the provisions of Part III, IV and IX of the Election (General) Regulations, section 13(2) and the First Schedule to the Leadership and Integrity Act, 2012 and Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
2. Every political party and every person who participates in the election shall subscribe to and observe the Electoral Code of Conduct set out in the Second Schedule to the Election Act, 2011.
3. A person guilty of an election offence will be liable to the penalties imposed by the Election Offences Act, 2016 (No. 37 of 2016), the disqualifications imposed thereof and the Constitution of Kenya.
4. The attention of candidates is drawn to the provisions of section 26 of the Elections Act, 2011.
5. The attention of political party candidates and independent candidates is drawn to section 29 of the Elections Act, 2011.
6. The attention of political parties, candidates and every person who participates in the election is drawn to section 2 of the Elections Act, 2011 on the campaign period.