You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from How to Register as Postal Voter : Australian Electoral Commission

Organisation : Australian Electoral Commission (
Facility : How to Register as Postal Voter
Country : Australia

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

How to Register as Postal Voter :
Home Page :

General Postal Voters :
Can I register to be a general postal voter? :
You can register to become a general postal voter if you are:
** enrolled at an address more than 20 km away from a polling place
** a patient at a hospital or nursing home and unable to travel to a polling place
** unable to travel due to being infirm at home

Related / Similar Service : AEC Change of Name

** caring for a seriously ill or infirm person
** serving a prison sentence of less than 3 years
** registered as a silent elector
** unable to attend a polling place due to religious beliefs
** unable to sign your name due to a physical incapacity
** registered as an overseas elector
** a member of the defence force, or a defence civilian serving outside Australia
** an Australian Federal Police officer or staff member serving outside Australia.

** Once you are registered as a general postal voter, you will automatically receive your ballot papers in the mail after an election has been announced.
** You do not need to re-apply for future elections.

How do I apply to be a general postal voter? :
You will need to :
** select the general postal voter form for your state or territory from the list below
** check you qualify to be a general postal voter
** complete the form then print, sign and return to the AEC.

If you are not already enrolled at your current residential address, you will need to enrol to vote or change your address.

I’ve changed my details, should I apply again? :
Every time you change your address or change your name you need to update your details on the electoral roll. There is no need to reapply to be a general postal voter if one of the circumstances listed above still apply to you.

Will I be registered for state and local government elections? :
When you register to be a general postal voter using the forms below, you can also apply to receive ballot papers for state and local government elections. Refer to the form for your state or territory for more details.

How do I return my signed form to the AEC? :
** Upload your scanned signed form

Select the type of form you are uploading :
** Upload enrolment, change name or address form
** Upload overseas enrolment form
** Upload overseas notification form
** Upload other form

** Return your signed form in person to an AEC office
** Return your signed form in person to any AEC office. A list of AEC offices is available or you can search for your local AEC office.

Mail your signed form :
** By posting your form you understand that the time of receipt is the time when the form is received by the AEC.
** Post your signed form in the reply paid envelope provided.
If you do not have a reply paid envelope, post your signed form to the reply paid address (no stamp is needed if posted in Australia)
Australian Electoral Commission
Reply Paid 9867
[your capital city]

Fax your signed form :
Fax your signed form to any AEC office. Please note, silent elector application forms cannot be accepted via fax. Enter your postcode into the ‘Find my local AEC Office’ tool below to find the correct fax number.

1 Comment
Add a Comment
  1. I need to apply for general postal voter but am unable to download the form. Could one be posted out to me?
    Many thanks!

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap