You are here: Home > United States
All posts from Voter Registration : California

Organization : California Secretary of State
Facility : Voter Registration
State : California
Country : United States

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

Register Here :
Home Page :

Voter Registration :
Assistance in Other Languages :
The California Secretary of State’s online application is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese.

Pick Up a Voter Registration Application :
You can also pick up a paper voter registration application at your county elections office, library, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, or U.S. post office. It is important that your voter registration application be filled out completely and be postmarked or hand-delivered to your county elections office at least 15 days before the election.

Military and Overseas Voters :
Military and overseas voters are United States citizens who are members of the Uniformed Services (on active duty) and their eligible dependents, members of the Merchant Marine and their eligible dependents, commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or United States citizens residing outside the United States. To apply to register to vote, receive your elections materials, and vote, you must apply for a special absentee ballot by filling out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).

Qualifications :
To register to vote in California, you must be :
** A United States citizen,
** A resident of California,
** 18 years of age or older on Election Day,
** Not currently imprisoned or on parole for the conviction of a felony (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see the Secretary of State’s Voting Rights for Californians with Criminal Convictions or Detained in Jail or Prison), and
** Not found by a court to be mentally incompetent.

Are You Already Registered to Vote? :
To find out if you are currently registered to vote, visit Check Status of Your Voter Registration.

Voter Registration Deadlines :
In California, the deadline to register to vote for any election is 15 days before Election Day, so please register early!

When to Re-Register to Vote :
You need to re-register to vote when :
** You move to a new permanent residence,
** You change your name, or
** You change your political party choice.

As a California voter, be aware that local elections in some areas are held on dates that do not coincide with statewide election dates. The 15-day close of registration deadline for these local elections varies depending on the actual date of the election. If you need to know a deadline for a local election, contact your county elections office.

Voter Registration Drives :
Anyone distributing voter registration cards in California should be familiar with the rules and regulations for conducting voter registration drives.

Anyone requesting 50 or more voter registration cards from the Secretary of State must complete and submit a Statement of Distribution Form and a plan of distribution to the Secretary of State via mail or fax to
** California Secretary of State
** Elections Division
** 1500 11th Street, 5th Floor
** Sacramento, CA 95814
** Fax: (916) 653-3214

The Secretary of State’s Elections Division will process the request within 48 hours of receiving the form. For additional assistance, please contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at (916) 657-2166.

Voter Bill of Rights :
** You have the right to cast a ballot if you are a valid registered voter.
** A valid registered voter means a United States citizen who is a resident in this state, who is at least 18 years of age and not in prison or on parole for conviction of a felony, and who is registered to vote at his or her current residence address.
** You have the right to cast a provisional ballot if your name is not listed on the voting rolls.
** You have the right to cast a ballot if you are present and in line at the polling place prior to the close of the polls.
** You have the right to cast a secret ballot free from intimidation.
** You have the right to receive a new ballot if, prior to casting your ballot, you believe you made a mistake.
** If, at any time before you finally cast your ballot, you feel you have made a mistake, you have the right to exchange the spoiled ballot for a new ballot. Vote-by-mail voters may also request and receive a new ballot if they return their spoiled ballot to an elections official prior to the closing of the polls on Election Day.
** You have the right to receive assistance in casting your ballot, if you are unable to vote without assistance.
** You have the right to return a completed vote-by-mail ballot to any precinct in the county.
** You have the right to election materials in another language, if there are sufficient residents in your precinct to warrant production.
** You have the right to ask questions about election procedures and to observe the elections process.
** You have the right to ask questions of the precinct board and elections officials regarding election procedures and to receive an answer or be directed to the appropriate official for an answer. However, if persistent questioning disrupts the execution of their duties, the board or election officials may discontinue responding to questions.
** You have the right to report any illegal or fraudulent activity to a local elections official or to the Secretary of State’s Office.

If you believe you have been denied any of these rights, or you are aware of any election fraud or misconduct, please call the Secretary of State’s confidential toll-free Voter Hotline at (800) 345-VOTE (8683).

Special Notice :
** Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on the day indicated in the posted sample ballot.
** Specific instructions on how to vote, including how to cast a provisional ballot, can be obtained from a poll worker or by reading the information mailed to you by your local elections official.
** If you are a newly registered voter, you may be asked to provide appropriate identification or other documentation according to federal law. But please note that every individual has the right to cast a provisional ballot even if he or she does not provide the documentation.
** It is against the law to represent yourself as being eligible to vote unless you meet all of the requirements to vote under federal and state law.
** It is against the law to tamper with voting equipment.

Add a Comment
  1. We have moved from San Diego County to San Bernardo County. How do we re-register for absent ballots?

  2. I’d like to change my party affiliation.

    1. Information about political parties is available in the below link.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   SiteMap